And That’s the Truth!
Lily Tomlin is one of my all time favorite comedians. She’s brilliant. When asked what makes her sweat, she answered:
Public humiliation. But it’s also the only thing that makes me exercise.
As I was enjoying Edith Ann’s Sandwich (not literally, who could?), it struck me that her sandwich was very much like the mixed media art works I create. I just keep adding and adding, according to what “feels right.” Sometimes I get a very amazing piece of art, and sometimes I get a dog’s breakfast. What I need to learn to do is cut the latter up into ATCs (Katie PM taught me all about cropping).
I performed that evening as Tommy Velour. As Liz’s escort, Michael sat beside her, watching my performance with that same sly smile, that same shy response. I’m lucky enough to have the evening – and Michael’s laughter – caught on tape.
Lily Tomlin never fails to make me laugh, and laughter is good for the soul. What’s good for the soul, is good for my art (and the thigh bone’s connected to the hip bone). Here are a few more Tomlin Truisms (and I do NOT mean clichés) :
* I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
* I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain.
* If I had known what it would be like to have it all – I might have been willing to settle for less.
* If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?
* Instead of working for the survival of the fittest, we should be working for the survival of the wittiest – then we can all die laughing.
* Reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.
* The best mind-altering drug is the truth.
* The road to success is always under construction.
And how could I not include Tomlin as a telephone company rep? (One of my sisters excels at imitating her. You CANNOT listen to snorting without starting to laugh yourself. Notice I said laugh. I never snort.)